JavaShare
 Go back to the JavaShare page
working link
 By daak - Posted on March 11, 2006 - 18:48:46   (#19186)
i just got this app from

link - doesn't work
 By Rafael K - Posted on February 7, 2006 - 14:11:45   (#19022)
doesn't work anymore

home page URL doesnt work
 By moooooooo - Posted on December 2, 2004 - 14:37:54   (#14937)
so try here people:
cheers
peter

Change ALT to allow CTRL
 By Zoink - Posted on May 26, 2004 - 16:45:21   (#12587)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
Since Javashare runs under Windows as well where ALT + SPACE + M / ALT + SPACE + N is already used to minimize windows depending on language, it works weird in JAvashare. When you try to minimize window it disconnects and so forth. Would it be possible to add an option to use CTRL for commands instead of ALT as is predefined now?

Linux problems
 By mictlantecuhtli - Posted on February 8, 2004 - 22:42:19   (#10976)
I'm using Firebird 0.7 with J2RE 1.5.0 beta, this is what I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException: name
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel+5.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Status is not working
 By Zoink - Posted on January 24, 2004 - 14:37:03   (#10740)
Bryan!

2 More bugs found... both can be considered small but might interest you anyway...

Bug #1:
Status field for all JavaShare clients appear blank in both BeShare and JavaShare. Meaning that if I Use BeShare, I can't see status on any Javashare user... functionality not implemented yet?

Bug #2:
Very irrelevant but comfortability stuff. When someone puts a URL as the final thing in a sentence. Then clicking on the empty line below the URL in a JavaShare field will open the URL too... since I sometimes click far to much and miss the "Chat" line and click just above.. it get's annoying when a browser window pops up. Can you restrict so it only opens url if actually pressed on top of URL???

Besides from that and many other things you're already aware of, JavaShare is brilliant ^^

Responses to various reports....
 By BryanV - Posted on December 5, 2003 - 18:00:49   (#9874)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
To make JavaShare launch your browser when you click a link: Edit->Preferences->LinkHelpers

Note on MacOS this dosen't exist. It "Just Works."

The text background will change to a blue shade when there have been 10 scroll-up adjustments. In that state, it will not automatically scroll to the bottom when new text is received. This is the exact same behavior as BeShare. (and was a source of many problems prior to the 2.0 re-write)

Yes, there is a bug when re-ordering some of the result columns in the query results. Just switch the colums back to their proper order.

About the file-sizes... It seems some queries are reporting the sizes, and others are not. Strange indeed. I have an idea of what may be happening.

Thanks for the feedback!

File Size?
 By Zoink - Posted on December 1, 2003 - 22:56:42   (#9814)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
Also noticed that JavaShare doesn't report file sizes when doing a search. This should be looked into I think.

comments on all previous stuff Bryan?

display bug -query string
 By mmadia - Posted on November 30, 2003 - 05:14:42   (#9797)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
found a minor display bug that appears in the Query text input box.

to reproduce:
change the column position of User ID so that something else is it's 2nd column space(ie, switch Name and ID).
double click a user from the Name, ID, Status, Files, Connection, Load, Client frame.
the Query text input box will display "*@ValueOf2ndColumn'sText"

this has no negative effect on the query itself, just the search string display.

hope this helps.

Re: Bug
 By Rene Gollent - Posted on November 28, 2003 - 10:29:01   (#9783)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
I believe that's intentional to indicate that the display is scrolled back and not at the bottom.

BUG?
 By Zoink - Posted on November 27, 2003 - 23:24:09   (#9782)
TRy the following.

Start Javashare and get some stuff in there so you have a scroller in the main window.

Now move scroller and you'll see that the normal white background switches colour to something a bit darker.

I don't know if this is intentional or could be considered a bug?

BUGFIX: Clicking URLs
 By Zoink - Posted on November 27, 2003 - 23:05:22   (#9781)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
I got another bugfix to sortout I guess.

When someone posts URL and you click it, it won't actually open in the browser.

I'm using JavaShare in Windows XP environment...

Could be worth checking into

Bug fixes
 By Zoink - Posted on November 18, 2003 - 00:18:32   (#9667)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
Hehe, nice to see I could find some bugs/features missing in JavaShare too.

Especially since I was the one who found the å bug in BeShare =).

Now crush 'em and live happily ever after =)

/start... doah!
 By BryanV - Posted on November 17, 2003 - 04:54:11   (#9657)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
:-) Seems I missed one. Noted. Thanks.

The table columns sort on double-clicks, yes. I may change this for the next release.

/start don't work
 By Zoink - Posted on November 17, 2003 - 00:29:53   (#9656)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
Seems like I might have found a bug...

typing /help says that /start <query> will search files for you... in JavaShare now it doesn't. Feature missing?

Also something a bit confusing is that you have to double click to sort columns in user list instead of just clicking once. But maybe that's how it's supposed to be..

Links ?
 By ljr - Posted on November 16, 2003 - 11:52:46   (#9652)
JV2 is available here : http://www.varnernet.com/javashare/index.jsp

Alternative appearance bug
 By lichtgestalt - Posted on November 16, 2003 - 10:52:04   (#9651)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
Just installed it and it's very nice! Good work!
In the "Appearances" and CDE and Windows, the headers for the columns File Name, Filesize etc. in the query view are squashed to a few pixels and thus unreadable.

Works well
 By brian68 - Posted on November 16, 2003 - 03:15:58   (#9650)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
The only issue I had was that the installer didn't work. Dragging the files into a folder worked, though, and the app has behaved well for the last few hours. Thanks!

All noted bugs fixed.
 By BryanV - Posted on November 16, 2003 - 00:30:47   (#9649)
 Current version when comment was posted: 2
All of the bugs I'm seeing down below in the talkback here have been fixed with version 2.0

It's a near total rewrite (perhaps a few hundred lines of code survived my butchering) and as such, most of the problems that plauged previous versions were eliminated from the beginning.

Hmm. I used latest JRE
 By Garjala - Posted on July 17, 2003 - 20:36:49   (#8215)
I used latest JRE and reinstalled it several times, removed SP4, put it back etc. but I could not run it again in stand-alone mode. It works fine as applet.

works fine here
 By chriscapoccia - Posted on July 17, 2003 - 16:21:33   (#8213)
not sure what your problem is exactly, but i am running win2k sp4 here and javashare works fine.

which version of java are you using?

i have sun's jre 1.40-b92

Installed win2000 sp4, javashare no longer works as stand-alone
 By Garjala - Posted on July 17, 2003 - 13:08:48   (#8210)
Like summary says, I installed Windows2000 SP4 and javashare stopped working as stand-alone version. I can use it as applet, but that spoils half of the fun.

Javashare stalls in splash screen (stays there forever) and nothing happens in it after that. Reinstalling java runtime did not help. Any ideas?

bug/feature
 By lizdeika - Posted on February 11, 2003 - 18:45:54   (#5870)
1)select server, connect
2)connects. OK
3)disconnect
4)repeat 1)
5)does not connect

Tycomsystems version is _old_!
 By BryanV - Posted on January 4, 2003 - 09:25:50   (#5137)
I'll see if I can update that tonight.

The version Tycomsystems has for download is nearly a year old at this point. It's really terrible compared to the new releases.

Yes, I unfortunately have a dynamic IP address, and don't have the money for an UPS backup. Many times my power-supply safe-shorts on the server when the power flickers (better than having it fry my motherboard) and sometimes I don't catch it for a few hours. Especially since the server is in my parents basement.

Idea
 By brian68 - Posted on November 30, 2002 - 06:40:23   (#4481)
It could be that you are trying to reach it before the dynamic IP has been updated. Your browser is trying to resolve an alias at no-ip.com to the current dynamic IP of the author's site. If his ISP reset the connection or the lease expired, no-ip.com needs to know about it in order to update the alias. It's also possible that the host machine has crashed...

FYI, I just tried the homepage and it works fine.

Homepage doesn't even work for me....
 By wrenhal - Posted on November 30, 2002 - 04:35:35   (#4478)
Is this the homepage link you clicked on?

I found a copy at tycomsystems.com and also found Ozone though..

Dunno, but it can be downloaded OK.
 By brian68 - Posted on November 27, 2002 - 02:10:34   (#4425)
I didn't bother with the main download link. Click on the homepage link and scroll to the version you want. I grabbed the *nix version with no probs.

No way to download, what's up??
 By wrenhal - Posted on November 27, 2002 - 01:42:38   (#4424)
I click on the download and the homepage links and my system just sits there..... Also, I saw someone mention Ozone... Is this on bebits or is it somewhere else??

I'm seriously starting to doubt that I'm sane...
 By BryanV - Posted on August 1, 2002 - 18:00:02   (#2477)
I don't know what else there is to say, except that I'll be stocking up on caffeine this afternoon, and that the JavaShare source tree has been fully backed up and is ready for it... the question is, am I?

All download links and JRE 1.4 incompatibility are fixed.
 By BryanV - Posted on June 25, 2002 - 01:01:48   (#1955)
All the download links should be fine now, and the bug with Java 1.4 is fixed as well. Thanks Nighthawk!

It rules
 By aphex - Posted on June 16, 2002 - 02:10:53   (#1832)
I can´t understand why everyone is so negative about javashare? I love it, why? Well let me start..

Firstly, it works on any java-platform! I personally do not like windows (I have nothing against mr. Billy, but I do not like the OS) And besides BeOS I like to use MacOS, and Javashare on my mac box works grea!

And there isn't any ozone version for mac, that makes javashare so great for me (because I rather run macOS then windows)

And second of all, javashare is also great to use within the web-browser. Hey I can just host it on my machine and then can access beshare from anywhere! (It's alot easier then downloading ozone everytime)

And java is kool =)

And by the way Bryan... The MacOS image seems to been uploaded in raw/text mode so clicking it results that the web browser spits it out in text! You better fix that!

Cheers!
/aphex

Java?
 By vitviper - Posted on June 11, 2002 - 22:36:14   (#1779)
Since the bashings of JavaShare 2 have begun, I might as well continue with my supporters :) What do you mean by things up your sleeve? Not only did I pop Ozone out with file sharing before you did, I also added new items to the BeShare protocol. Oh, and Ozone is themeable, did I mention that? (Thanx Qt! ;) ) If only Qt 3 was free.... Work does continue on Ozone, slowly. I am ironing out the bugs in the file sharing (queueing mainly). I don't mean to bash JavaShare too much, but who cares how many OS's something runs on, if it runs freaking slow? The Java VM sux! Ozone will always be much faster than JavaShare 2. And you don't have to download that 13 MB VM.... I can only imagine how slow JS2 will run with a full blown file sharing engine. Bye now.

Duplicate work? Humph
 By BryanV - Posted on June 11, 2002 - 14:05:33   (#1772)
Yes, Ozone does to file sharing. Cheers to VitViper!

However...

Ozone will not run on MacOS 8.1~9.2.
Ozone to my knowledge does not run on MacOS X.
Ozone to my knowledge does not run on Solaris...

See a trend here?

I started JavaShare 2 as a means of
1.) Being able to chat on my Mac, weather I'm in OS X or not.
2.) Gaining more expirence with Java programming.
3.) To tinker with MUSCLE.

I fail to see this as duplicate work, since the number of OS's that JavaShare will run on greatly outnumbers Ozone. I'm not trying to tell you Ozone is bad, or that JavaShare is better. I'm merely stating it's an alternative for the OS that Ozone supports, and fills in gaps where Ozone has no support.

I'm continuing my work with JavaShare, and I have now officially started the push for file sharing. With the amount of time I've personally placed into this project, the only way you're going to stop me now is by prying my keyboard from my cold, dead hands.

Flame all you want folks.
Divert the talkback of this app to other issues which aren't related at all. (See the Gobe bashing below)
It just makes me want to code that much more.

And finally for the 'duplicate work' naysayers out there, I have some things up my sleeve for future releases I'd be willing to bet Ozone can't/won't do.

Why duplicate work?
 By beadingo - Posted on June 11, 2002 - 10:30:40   (#1769)
Ozone already does the filesharing and it doesn't need java

On the other hand I do agree with Ted on the GoBe issue
 By sasquatch666 - Posted on May 10, 2002 - 13:53:11   (#1368)
 Current version when comment was posted: 1.1.2
I did not buy Gobe windoze version for the express reason that they did not make a BeOS version.Iwould like to have Gobe productive on this win box but seeing how they saw fit to dump their BeOS update I saw fit not to use it(even at their registered user discount price.Crap like this WILL drive people away from BeOS(which even in it's current unsupported state is still light years ahead of Windoze in many respects)
I cannot believe that they thought everyone would just delete BeOS from their system just because Be Inc. closed down,GET REAL, IF IT AIN'T BROKE WHY FIX IT?

Don't let the negativity get you down Bman
 By sasquatch666 - Posted on May 10, 2002 - 13:39:19   (#1367)
 Current version when comment was posted: 1.1.2
I agree with your theory Bryan,programs like this and Ozone can only help getting recognition for the BeOS.I am typing this on my crappy win box wtch resides in my kitchen aand is used for a test platform for various alt-OS's I tinker with,and well duh windoze apps. It has a BeOS partition on it i use for a mp3 jukebox because the usb keyboard and the modem are not supported,so when it is on the net it is in windoze,JvaShare and Ozone allow me to drop in and say howdy to my friends in the BeOS community when I'm here and I am greatful for them!!Quit using BeOS???I DON'T HARDLY THINK SO!!!I would ,if I had my choice, quit using Windoze before I EVER Dreamed of quitting BeOS!!!plus giving Windoze and linux users access to beshare could only ADD to the database of shared media files and such. I already have most of the BeOS apps and the ones I would like to have that I don't (certain discontinued commercial apps ) seem to never be shared anyways despite their abandoned status.So that leaves us with the cross-platform multimedia stuff and new blood means a bigger library to choose from and more potential BeOS users in the future!! Oh and BTW it also gives BeOS users with unsupported modems a way to get apps from Beshare(DL 'em in windoze and drag 'em across,that's the way i did before i got a Be machine built with a supported modem)KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

A few notes about JavaShare...
 By BryanV - Posted on May 4, 2002 - 22:05:28   (#1300)
 Current version when comment was posted: Version 1.1
Proxy Support - JavaShare supports SOCKS proxies. If you're behind a proxy, check with the administrator to see if it supports SOCKS, and what port it runs on. The default SOCKS port is 1080.

FileSharing - Filesharing will not detract from the BeOS user base. The people who are still here are the die-hards, and will only give up BeOS after you pry the mouse from their cold, dead, hands.

The reason I've created JavaShare, and that I'm working on it are simple. I find that often I'm forced to use Windows, Mac OS, Linux... - especially for work or school. Do I like using these other OSs? No. Even with JavaShare, it's still no replacement for BeOS... but it sure does help make it more live-able. JavaShare was made for that reason - for those times where you're stuck in another OS for one reason or another. It's not meant to take loyal BeOS users away, and I can promise you that it won't. What it can do though, is if someone who dosen't use BeOS stumbles across it, and connects to a BeShare server, they can be introduced to the BeOS community, and will probably end up trying the BeOS. You never know... JavaShare may help more than you think. On a side note, why not go after the author of Ozone with such banter?

Great Job! but ...
 By DECman - Posted on May 1, 2002 - 20:14:39   (#1250)
 Current version when comment was posted: Version 1.1
Great job on JavaShare. I've really missed the ability to keep up with what's happening. The thing that has never worked for me is connecting through a proxy server. Is it supposed to work from behind a proxy?

But otherwise I really like it.

Thanks for the effort :-)

DECman

Great!
 By aphex - Posted on May 1, 2002 - 19:28:26   (#1249)
 Current version when comment was posted: Version 1.1
Great job Bryan! Cheers!

keep chat only in other OSes
 By Ted - Posted on March 24, 2002 - 12:19:14   (#666)
 Current version when comment was posted: 1.0 Final Chat Only
I agree with the fact that it's going to be possable to thrive users away more easy than before. I would like to see that other if persued according to the future plans these additional features are billed in some way, where the money will be of benefit of the BeUser communety, be it BeUnited, OBOS or any other usefull attempd to let BeOS survive.
The Loyal BeUser and developer communety deserves no less than that in my humble opinion.
Please don't make this Windows ware. Gobe already did that according to unofficial sources, letting loyal Be Users pay for a version of their Office product for Windows and Linux that will probably never hit the BeOS arena as they did promise back then.

If i am wrong in my info let someone prove me otherwise.

Grts,