Wireless How-To
 Go back to the Wireless How-To page
Mirror is down...
 By tuxdaemon - Posted on November 7, 2005 - 06:42:13   (#18242)
We need to add another mirror. It's not very big, I could host it, but I can't get it, so mute point. Send an e-mail to tuxdaemon@unixdevil.org with the howto, and I'll see what I can do...

replies
 By kancept - Posted on March 25, 2005 - 09:45:40   (#16204)
Tyro65 -
G cards don't work. Period. There may be another driver for it elsewhere, but this howto doesn't cover those.

djkritikal -
What do graphics have anything to do with a wireless howto? Your question is lacking substance as that is all I could extrapolate from your very poorly worded composition. Have a graphics issue? A Bone issue? You need to clearly give the situation, the question, and hardware specs would really help. What version of BeOS are you running? Are you even running BeOS? What version of Bone did you download? Did you read the instructions with it? So many variables, not a shred of situational awareness...

Bone and Libretto
 By djkritikal - Posted on March 25, 2005 - 07:56:20   (#16203)
I hate to use this for this, but I'm depserate to get my Toshiba Portege up and running wirelessly. The Libretto uses a very similar graphic card and when I install Bone, it won't load. Please contact me at djkritikal at gmail dot com and let me know how you got it working. Thanks!

Which Cards Work?
 By Tyro65 - Posted on October 21, 2004 - 04:03:08   (#14453)
I've been attempting to get a Linksys WPC54G card to work in BeOS on my Toshiba Libretto. I think it must have the wrong chips. I plan to swap it for another one. Which cards listed here are known to work in BeOS BONE? Thanks.

wavelan How-To (settings etc)
 By s_d - Posted on July 3, 2004 - 13:55:34   (#13198)
Driver for wavelan from BONE/Dano/Zeta is quite powerfull driver supporting wide variety of
PCMCIA, PCI (and maybe ISA PnP) wireless cards, based on classic Orinoco/Intersil chipset.
Here is list of good candidates to try:

"Orinoco or Intersil Prism 2 Wireless", manfid/VendorID 0x0156, CardID 0x0002
"Lucent Technologies Wavelan/IEEE"
"Avaya World Card"
"Cabletron RoamAbout 802.11 DS"
"ELSA AirLancer MC-11"
"MELCO WLI-PCM-L11"
---------------------------------
"Symbol Technologies, LA4111 Spectrum24 Wireless LAN PC Card"

"3Com, 3CRWE737A AirConnect Wireless LAN PC Card"
"Intel PRO/Wireless 2011", manfid/VendorID 0x0089, CardID 0x0001

"Ericsson WLAN Card C11" manfid/VendorID 0x016b, CardID 0x0001
"Nortel Networks e-mobility 802.11 Wireless LAN PC Card"
"D-Link DWL-650H 11Mbps WLAN Adapter"
---------------------------------------
"Farallon SkyLINE"
"D-Link DWL-650 11Mbps WLAN Card"
"SAMSUNG, 11Mbps WLAN Card"
"HyperLink, Wireless PC Card 11Mbps"
"PROXIM, LAN PC CARD HARMONY 80211B"
"Linksys WPC11 11Mbps 802.11b WLAN Card", manfid/VendorID: 0x0274, Card ID 0x1612
"Linksys CompactFlash Wireless Card"
"Tekram PCF-200, 11M WLAN Card v2.5", "ISL37300P", "RevA"
"ACTIONTEC, PRISM Wireless LAN PC Card"
"Zcomax XI-325HP, IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN/PC Card"

====== Configuring for PCMCIA cards .
For PCI (and maybe ISA PnP) skip this section)
Insert PCMCIA card. Run in terminal command:
cardctl ident
It gives you manfid and cardid.
create file pcmcia in /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/
with content:
#start of pcmcia settings file
card {
manfid YOUR_manfid_HERE YOUR_cardid_HER
bind wavelan
}
#end of pcmcia settings file

Restart.
======== End of PCMCIA section
See if card appeared in Boneyard->Interfaces
(and in /dev/net/wavelan).
Configure IP/mask/gateway
Restart.
Enjoy networking

Don't work?
Maybe you need exact settings for your WIFI network in this case. See next section.

======== Wavelan setting
Here is content of settings file with name wavelan.
(Create it in text editor and place into /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/
Edit according your wireless network settings.
If parameter is (out)commented, driver sets it to default value (see descriptions)

# 802.11B Orinoco-Intersil wireless driver settings
#
# File name: /boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/wavelan
#
wavelan 0 { # First card to be defined
network_name "string"
# Sets the independent network name in ad-hoc mode.
# Sets the desired #network (desired SSID) to connect to if using an access point.
# The default is card-configured (usually "ANY").

channel "number"
# Channel (frequency) for ad-hoc networks and is useless if using an access #point.
# Valid range: "0"-"14" (depends on local restrictions) and defaults to "3"
# Card can scan for proper frequency itself, especially with given SSID

port_type "number"
# Select WaveLAN port type:
# "1" - BSS - Basic Service Set, aka Infrastructure (requires AccessPoint presense, default),
# "2" - WDS - Wireless Distribution System,
# "3" Pseudo-IBSS - ad-hoc network (no AccessPoint, PtP).

key "number" (10 digits max?)
# WEP encryption key

#irq_list "i,j,..."
# Specifies the set of interrupts that may be allocated by this driver.
# keep it commented until you understand what to do with it
}
#end if wavelan settings file
Save file, restart, go to web-surfing:)

Zeta, perhaps...
 By adamk - Posted on September 10, 2003 - 13:37:39   (#8753)

I've heard that Zeta will have much better wireless support, but I don't know how true that is.

Adam

No such luck with SSID...
 By vegac - Posted on September 10, 2003 - 02:41:05   (#8749)
Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to go without.
Again, the prism driver (which lets you set the SSID) doesn't work for me, and the wavelan, which does apparently work, defaults to (and possibly only works in) ad-hoc I guess. Or atleast, it won't hop on the nearest AP. No Be on the Go for me :(

Anyone know if there's any work on making new (more functional) wireless card drivers?

Setting SSID.
 By adamk - Posted on September 9, 2003 - 21:03:53   (#8746)

Unfortunately, you might not be able to. Bear in mind that these drivers give a whole new meaning to beta :-)

On *most* operating systems a wireless NIC will, by default, usually associate with whichever access point is closest, so it may be associating with your AP in the first place.

Adam

How do you set the SSID w/ the wavelan driver?
 By vegac - Posted on September 9, 2003 - 19:24:39   (#8744)
Well, I tried both drivers with my wireless card.
the Prism drivers shows up in Boneyard and all, but has a hardware address of 00:00:00:00:00:00 so I'm guessing that means it's not working :)

The Wavelan driver has a proper hardware address, so I'm assuming it MAY actually work, however, how do I set the SSID and channel and what-not that's required so it can contact my AP and (hopefully) work.

Another working card.
 By adamk - Posted on August 20, 2003 - 15:30:26   (#8563)

The D-Link DCF-650W works fine with the prism drive. It's actually a compact flash wireless card, but works as a PCMCIA card with the proper adapter.

Wireless pcmcia auto-restart for BONE
 By criti - Posted on March 31, 2003 - 05:36:27   (#6666)
One problem with BONE and wireless PCMCIA cards is on reboot they are marked "(gone)" until you physically eject and reinsert them, then BONE detects it fine.

I made this simple little script so us couch potatoes don't have to eject the card, just paste this in your UserBootScript or create a filename, and link to it in your UserBootScript.

I might update it a little more to add more functionality, but this is the general skeleton script.
-------------------------

#! /bin/sh
# by CritiKill
# Reset the pcmcia slots
# You are free to change the 5 depending on how it works
cardctl eject
sleep 5
cardctl insert

-------------------------------

Supported cards and adapters
 By kancept - Posted on March 25, 2003 - 02:59:10   (#6584)
So far, the only cards I've had reported working are the Orinoco Series cards (WAVELAN) and the Linsys WP11 v1. No other version of the Linksys cards have worked yet. I have not been able to get the Cisco cards working, but maybe with the aquisition of Linksys, the chipsets will change in their new lines.

None of the PCI or ISA adapters have been reported to me to work yet. I personally only have the Linksys PCI to test.

I have tested 6 cards so far here and those are the only ones I've gotten going.

Re: PCI Card
 By Rene Gollent - Posted on March 3, 2003 - 05:05:16   (#6154)
I tried this, and it recognizes the card correctly (Orinoco Gold/Wavelan chipset), but deadlocks when it actually tries to use it, I'm not certain if that's because of the PCI/PCMCIA bridge or what though.

PCI card support?
 By adamk - Posted on March 3, 2003 - 01:57:56   (#6153)

Anyone know if it's possible to get wireless going with a PCI-to-pcmcia adapter and a wavelan card?

Adam

specific cards
 By Technix - Posted on February 5, 2003 - 10:22:45   (#5740)
Can someone please list here specific wireless card models/chipsets that are known to work with BeOS R5 + BONE?

I know about the hardware matrix. I'm a bit puzzled on what wireless choices work and what don't, when browsing the network categories.

It would be greatly helpful if someone could list what wireless cards work in BeOS.

Thanks!

-Chris Simmons,
Avid BeOS User.
The BeOSJournal.

Aironet/Cisco 340/350
 By s_d - Posted on January 15, 2003 - 02:05:24   (#5372)
Unfortunately mentioned above ISA PnP version don't work here, at least under BONE (seems even under BONE BeOS supports only NE2K or 3Com compatible ISA cards), so i dont know if any ISA will work. Though, maybe it will be case for Wavelan compatible ISA solutions

wireless
 By Bubbapcguy - Posted on January 14, 2003 - 23:48:49   (#5368)
I think those old Harris Prism work YDI and Samsung 2 meg. ISA Pci cards ..Ebay for 10.00 ~ 20.00 bucks.
I will install one and see.

wireless how to
 By Bubbapcguy - Posted on January 14, 2003 - 23:47:13   (#5367)
Just go get a Linksys WET11 or a D-Link Ethernet Wireless Bridge and use it.

Works great and gives better distance and uses an old ethernet card in the system.

Ext. Ant with long cable for those long shots to the coffee house or the local hotspot.

Re: Bluegear
 By kancept - Posted on January 4, 2003 - 17:43:31   (#5146)
I know nothing on these units. For USB networking, your best bet would be to try the USB Pegasus drivers found here on BeBits. I'm going to go out here and say that NO, they will not work. Most USB stuff like that doesn't work.

Anybody know about USB wireless stuff???
 By wrenhal - Posted on November 27, 2002 - 00:38:02   (#4422)
I have a set of Bluegear USB dongles using the Cambridge Silicon Radio chipset.... Any possibility of using one on my BeOS system to connect to my Windows based DSL system??? Would like to know before I see about installing bone on my BeOSOnline Dev Edition partition.

Sorry bout the link
 By kancept - Posted on November 7, 2002 - 15:36:09   (#4017)
Both of the files are on the same server. I have been working on a new server and the DNSing probably hadn't caught up. The server is now moved and DNS's should be all caught up by now. The new server is all BeOS now! :-)

What's with the link?
 By bob345 - Posted on November 2, 2002 - 21:01:21   (#3896)
yo guys--

You happen to know if there's a mirror or something that I can use to get to the how-to? The link has not been working for a while now...(bebits download AND nylonoxygen.com are both inaccessible).

don't run :(
 By atomozero - Posted on October 29, 2002 - 20:38:18   (#3862)
dlink Dwl-650 (prism) don't run

sigh! :"(

OH! You bet. Beos info is needed
 By jefro - Posted on October 27, 2002 - 02:36:18   (#3807)
I get ya now. Thanks for posting any and all info about beos. The beos users are finding each day some way to keep beos going on. It does count on doc's and people and web sites. It needs people trying different config's and most of all (what I can't do) people to write lines of code. Anytime a beos user makes it easier for other users it helps the entire group. It is good and valueable work. Keep it up!

True.
 By kancept - Posted on October 26, 2002 - 03:47:25   (#3794)
True jefro. Installing BONE7a on a Dan0 install will surely geek it. Now, I do know there are other wireless cards drivers in BONE, however, these were the only two I have had access to and have succefully had running. Your mileage may vary. However, this should be a guide as to how you go about getting it, or ANY PCMCIA card doing in BeOS. That's all I did was follow procedure. :-) And I documented it, which we do need more of in BeOS....good documentation.

Dano again
 By jefro - Posted on October 25, 2002 - 05:46:01   (#3763)
I agree that one can use the info to get a R5 plus bone install to go wireless. I do not disagree. I suggest only more information.

The bone install has more than one or two drivers for wireless. And those drivers cover many many makes of cards.

IF and I say IF one has dano (no mention of bone) then one could get ONLY the drivers from the bone7a and put them on dano. Because bone7a being installed will most likely render your dano dead.

Pre-Test
 By SlimSCSI2 - Posted on October 25, 2002 - 04:06:10   (#3761)
I used this how-to to configue a orinoco gold I got from pagecomputers.com

It was very helpfull.

I would recommend however, that you get the card woking in windows first(assumeing your laptop is multiboot) i spend 30 minutes blaiming BeOS for what turned out to be a issue with my AP configuration.

Requirements
 By kancept - Posted on October 25, 2002 - 02:19:38   (#3760)
As stated, you need R5 and BONE added to it. NOT Dan0. Dan0 does not include the drivers you need. Yeah, yeah, it has BONE, but it isn't R5 with BONE. :-) I thought that was clear. Guess not. Here;s what you need again (taken from the How-To):

BeOS R5
BONE
Wireless card - usually 1 of 2 chipsets - the wavelan or prism
This How-To

And I'm not gonna type it all out for here. You want it, grab it and read it. The tutorial is not that big. Really.

bone yes drivers no
 By jefro - Posted on October 23, 2002 - 23:46:33   (#3739)
At least the copy that I had did not have the wireless drivers that bone7a zip file did. What I meant was that if you have dano running and want to put the drivers in I think it would work. As Adam McNutt pointed out, he could not get the drivers to work with on a non-bone system. The bone file explains has a short explaination of what driver goes to what cards.

dano...
 By ljr - Posted on October 23, 2002 - 17:04:39   (#3730)
Dano includes Bone...

drivers on dano
 By jefro - Posted on October 23, 2002 - 00:53:58   (#3718)
I haven't gotten to this yet but I suspect that the drivers would work if they were copied to dano WITHOUT the bone install. On bone7a there are quite a few wireless drivers.

Please state "Requires BONE" on your description :-)
 By Jace - Posted on October 23, 2002 - 00:39:56   (#3716)
Please state "Requires BONE" on your description :-)

User Ratings  -  N/A