VIA Rhine driver
 Go back to the VIA Rhine driver page
Trying to contact the owner of the via-rhine driver entry
 By mrmdls - Posted on September 23, 2006 - 02:35:26   (#20657)
Hello,

Could the owner of the via-rhine driver entry please let me know the best way to contact them (your email address bounces back). I've rebuilt the driver from source and added the via-rhine.h entry discussed here, along with the entries for the via-tahoe cards from Bedriver, and it has helped my connections tremendously.

Thanks in advance,

mrmdls

VT 6105 works bad
 By beunaware - Posted on January 24, 2006 - 09:54:48   (#18900)
Hello!
I tried a card with VT 6105 chipset (with BeOSnetserver and ZetaDemoCD): it connects sometimes and for fews minuts only, very unstable.
I did not tried the D-Link DFE-538TX Patch (http://www.bebits.com/app/2067), should this be useful?
I am not skilled with computers but I can do some tests (if useful) if you say to me how to do :).
Thank you, Rob, for your job on this driver.

What about the modded source?
 By Esaltato - Posted on December 7, 2005 - 11:03:26   (#18531)
Is there a new version for R5?

uff
 By beseeker - Posted on October 11, 2005 - 06:56:49   (#18006)
in zeta rc3(with the compiled driver from modified source ). when i use this driver for a while my pc hang-up(the input_server stop responding). when i press ctrl+alt+del all seems to be fine again. How can i modify the media or speed parameters?? thk!

Driver Lockup (Found Reason ..... I think)
 By zzrabbit - Posted on August 28, 2005 - 18:39:26   (#17563)
Ok

I was checking out the source and found that there is a file miss named in the via-rhine.h file down in the Functions at line 291 it says misc.c but I think that should be util.c There is no misc.c file and the functions are in the util.c file.

I haven't tested it yet but I will within the next few days and will post.

ZZ

Uh, right
 By Jack Burton - Posted on April 7, 2004 - 13:55:50   (#11845)
I always confuse the name...
Dr_Kill, Dr_Evil... same evil guy :P

Dr_Evil, not Dr_Kill
 By MYOB - Posted on April 7, 2004 - 13:43:58   (#11844)
He means Dr_Evil - Marcus Overhagen. He's taking a look at the driver for Karina, trying to fix some of its weirdness

Dr_Kill who?
 By Philippe Houdoin - Posted on April 7, 2004 - 10:35:40   (#11842)
Who is Dr_Kill?!
Do you have his email address?

Wait a sec...
 By Jack Burton - Posted on April 7, 2004 - 09:29:41   (#11839)
I think Dr_Kill is working on that, I think you should talk with him first

Re: Uploading into OBOS CVS
 By Philippe Houdoin - Posted on April 7, 2004 - 00:18:08   (#11834)
I guess it should not hurt to upload his driver code, yep.
I'll soon do that.

upload to OpenBeOS CVS
 By mario-pl - Posted on April 6, 2004 - 22:42:19   (#11833)
If the driver is under BSD, maybe someone should upload it to OpenBeOS CVS?? OpenBeOS will have another LAN driver

License info regarding Richards driver.
 By Karina - Posted on April 2, 2004 - 06:36:10   (#11785)
Got in touch with Richard Houle today, he confirms his driver was released under the BSD license, so it's free to be used as we wish.

Datasheets.
 By Karina - Posted on March 29, 2004 - 13:08:35   (#11716)
Have put up Via's VT6102 Rhine2 and VT6103 Tahoe data sheets, they may be helpful.

As you can probably tell, I'm itching to get this fixed, but it's beyond my skills.

Source here....
 By Karina - Posted on March 27, 2004 - 10:21:24   (#11692)
Here's the source anyway....

Hopefully someone can put it to good use and fix the existing issues.

What I wanted to say....
 By Karina - Posted on March 19, 2004 - 10:10:31   (#11529)
I was just giving encouragement towards more effort to help this work on bone.

Anyway, I have the Via Rhine source package here, there is no copyrights packaged with the file or in the source that I have seen, so I assume it is a completely public domain work... I also know for sure that Zeta's driver is based on this source, so I assume they were comfortable modifying it and releasing it under the license of their choosing. If anyone is interested I will post this source with modifications for Rhine 2/Tahoe/Rhine3 on here, it does work on bone although poorly (need to set it up with ifconfig rather than via boneyard), I am not experienced with c++ so improving the driver is beyond me but if someone has the skills, this may make a good starting point. My other thought is that if this is packaged under some kind of license that it is of the type which forces it to remain opensource. As anything like this would be a real shame if it was release partially improved in binary only.
Please let me know what you think.

driver
 By martig - Posted on January 5, 2004 - 21:34:29   (#10365)
"Best of luck, allowing this to work on bone should add support for R5/bone, Dano and the forth comming Zeta."
Can anyone understand what Karina wanted to say with that sentence?

Phillipe, would it be possible that you would continue Rob's driver or atleast fix the bug which doesn't allow it to co-operate with BONE? Couldn't thank you enough.

Re: need developers
 By Philippe Houdoin - Posted on January 2, 2004 - 17:34:13   (#10279)
> Rob has a long time ago stopped developing the driver and using BeOS,
> someone should conitnue his work.

I'll ask him if he agree to donate his code to OpenBeOS, so that we (OBOS net team) add his driver into OBOS CVS.
As I've DFE 530TX cards, I'm very interested in offering an opensource replacement of Be Inc. vt86c100 driver with OBOS net stack...

need developers
 By martig - Posted on January 2, 2004 - 16:05:22   (#10274)
Rob has a long time ago stopped developing the driver and using BeOS, someone should conitnue his work.

Can anyone help further develop this driver?
 By tigerdog - Posted on December 31, 2003 - 23:35:31   (#10253)
I have located an older version of the source and revised the PCI table as noted in other comments but know NOTHING about BeOS software development, compiling, etc.

Can anyone advise how to further pursue development of this driver?

Rhine III works - also with timeouts
 By tigerdog - Posted on December 31, 2003 - 05:15:31   (#10244)
But significantly better throughput than my old 3com card. I wish there was something we could do about the reliability issues. Anyone have suggestions?

big timeout problem..
 By rampz - Posted on November 3, 2003 - 14:43:39   (#9468)
i've got a d-link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Rev A). The driver works fine - for about 2-4 minutes. after this time, i have to restart the network.

K7V Soyo Dragon Plus (ID 3065)
 By PieterPan - Posted on September 30, 2003 - 01:12:23   (#8961)
Hey,

Its great to see a driver for this network card, since it's integrated into my motherboard. It does however bail out every so often. Sometimes I have to only restart networking, sometimes I have to restart BeOS (shiver) to get it to work again.

Maybe you could publish the source so we can poke in it and debug it?
If not, is there any other way we can help debug the freezes?

Thanks!

Pieter

VIA VT6105 Rhine III works..
 By rudolfc - Posted on August 31, 2003 - 18:14:59   (#8638)
Hi,

Just tested the VIA VT6105 Rhine III (ID=3106) with this driver.

It's working OK. Though I sometimes need to restart networking because the driver stops responding or so.

It's fairly useable over here though :)

Thanks,

Rudolf.

System freeze
 By daf73 - Posted on May 21, 2003 - 18:56:53   (#7373)
I have a VIA Rhine II ethernet card in my notebook (acer 1304LC) with card ID 3065.
Your driver get my card been recognized but then freeze the whole system... I looked at the IRQ and I saw that it's sharing IRQ 10 with the VGA and the USB...

Unluckly my notebook BIOS is useless and I cannot change IRQ nor set the famous "PNP OS" option off.

Now I'm sure the point is that because I tried to delete my video card drivers (s3Savage 4) and the network worked correctly.

There is some hope for me? Could I change the IRQ outside the BIOS?

thanks for your work
daf

Re: Okey Dokes
 By haiqu - Posted on January 27, 2003 - 02:48:54   (#5591)
Oh, I have it and use it, which I guess makes me ultra-nerdy too. :) I just wouldn't know how to write a network driver that will work in both, given the limited information I have right now. And since I just added my talents to the OpenBeOS project, may not have the time to investigate it.

A female Aussie BeOS nut ... wow, that's attractive.

Rob (in Melbourne)

Okie dokes
 By Karina - Posted on January 26, 2003 - 10:18:39   (#5579)
Zeta will be using bone, keep an eye on beosjournal.org we'll hopefully have a review up as soon as Bernd sends us a new cd to play with.

You're probably aware that most of us ultra nerdy beos ppl use bone anyway, purely because most *nix network goodies will port to it fairly happily.

thanx for putting this up I know ppl have been whining bout Rhine 2 support for a while.

Bone issues
 By haiqu - Posted on January 26, 2003 - 08:13:14   (#5576)
The driver hasn't been tested under Bone, and wasn't targeted for it at all. Since Bone wasn't officially released (and no-one has publicly released any information about Zeta's networking) I'm happy enough to leave it that way for now.

BTW, for the VT6105 the init should contain 256, not 128.

Issues under bone.
 By Karina - Posted on January 26, 2003 - 07:55:39   (#5575)
Appears to have similar issues under bone to the previous Rhine/Rhine II driver made by Richard Houle. Basically it will not hold ip settings (they'll reset every time boneyard is opened) I'm unable to test this version to see if it actually works due to the fact my dog chewed through my lan cable, the earlier version did work on my VT6103 Tahoe (a revision of the rhine 2 carries same pci id as vt6102) but had this issue which was quite irritating but worked fine with netserver (note. recompile on bone system did not fix the problem).

Richards driver can be found on BeShare (via-rhine-beos-src-0.92.zip) it may give you some ideas.

(throw this in pci.c for rhine2/tahoe/rhine3)

<pci.c>