BeOS 5 PE Max Edition
 Go back to the BeOS 5 PE Max Edition page
ty
 By StarWarsLegacy.net - Posted on March 3, 2008 - 13:59:36   (#22546)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
BeTips! Been a Looong while!

Thankx!

Re: Custom CD - BeTips.Net
 By SD - Posted on March 3, 2008 - 11:35:05   (#22545)
Visit reborn Betips.Net:

Problem Solved. Also curious how to make my own Be CD.
 By StarWarsLegacy.net - Posted on March 3, 2008 - 01:47:14   (#22540)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I now see that I had to read the docs. Was not expecting that.

All is well, but I'd also like to know where that old tutorial is that shows you how to make your own custom BeOS boot and install CD.

Anyone know?

Can't boot off CD
 By StarWarsLegacy.net - Posted on March 1, 2008 - 03:07:47   (#22526)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I can boot AROS, LINUX, BeOS R5, Zeta, Linux, You name it, but this disk only turns then does not boot.

I've had successful burns of all other software using Nero.

Carlos Assan -- Pulsing sound
 By Tyro65 - Posted on October 8, 2007 - 04:28:09   (#21999)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Thanks, AlienSoldier. I get sound but it pulses. The card works fine with several version of Zeta. I sure would like to get it working with BeOS Bone.
Zeta has this in Media Preferences:
Audio Input > Awe64 ADC 1
Audio Output > Awe64 ADC 1

do you have the carlos assan driver?
 By AlienSoldier - Posted on October 7, 2007 - 23:42:38   (#21998)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
i have a boned PC with a ISA SB16 that work fine. I think beos come already with a awe64 driver so the carlos assan driver might not be part of beosmax, i'm not sure.

in case you already have that driver, try to install it again.

Bone Kills Sound
 By Tyro65 - Posted on October 7, 2007 - 20:30:12   (#21997)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
My SB16 (AWE64) Soundblaster (ISA) card works great until I install Bone7a. How do I fix it? Please help.

RE5: Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 25, 2007 - 07:32:35   (#21758)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Thanks for all the help and suggestions tonstone57.
Yes I was able to ping those sites in Beos and the ping times were large.
I don't know if there are any other wireless connection typs around but woosh and CDMA are the only ones in this part of NZ. I am at the bottom of the South Island at Invercargill. In the North Island there is more choice and more population. I switched to wireless broadband to escape Telecom phone charges. That were going up all the time. Woosh have voice over IP, withe under half the cost of Telecom for a phone connection. Telecom have now been forced to unbundle there phone lines so that other ISP's can provide competitive broadband as far as ADSL at least. So things might be getting better here, at least as far as the internet is concerned

RE4: Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By tonestone57 - Posted on June 24, 2007 - 16:19:06   (#21757)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Your router ping times are excellent.

Your website ping times are awful / bad. I'm providing you with my average ping times for the sites you listed.

MY ISP ( Internet Provider ): www.telus.net 18 ms

tvnz.co.nz 187 ms
www.nzsolar.co.nz 266 ms
www.woosh.com 256 ms
www.bebits.com 65 ms
www.nasa.gov 84 ms

I'm located closer to Bebits & Nasa so get lower ping times to those sites. Even sites in NZ provide good ping times for me ( all pings under 300 ms ).

You're best to switch to ADSL or Cable Internet, wired broadband. CDMA is used in cell phones & will not give good response ( especially noticeable in moderate to heavy rain weather ).

#1 If those websites are "pinging" in BeOS then your DNS is set up right ( ie: if you get ping times ). If those sites do not ping then DNS is not right.

#2 If ping times are high or timing out then problem with your internet provider. ( which looks like what you're getting, wireless broadband is not reliable in bad weather & slower than wired - Linux & Windows are better at keeping the connection alive; not timing out even with *unreliable* connection ).

RE3: Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 24, 2007 - 13:43:23   (#21756)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I did some ping tests in Windows XP. This is what I got for different sites in NZ, US, Australia
and my router last:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=150

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Pinging anything except my router is very slow. There is no device conflicts listed with my network card; 3c905b tx. I also disabled the rt5169 in the BIOS.
My type of broadband is CDMA 1XRTT. That is wireless broadband with www.woosh.com. You can see the ping times with my ISP are very high.
I think it might be a little due to a lot of rain since this part of the world is in the middle of winter and rain affects the performance of wireless broadband.

RE2: Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By tonestone57 - Posted on June 24, 2007 - 06:38:09   (#21755)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Your ping times seem very high. You should use "ping" in Windows ( or Linux ) to confirm it.

I'm in North America with ADSL and normal ping times for me are:
www.tomshardware.com, ping time is 65ms
www.osnews.com, ping time is 84ms

I believe values above 300 ms are bad. Pinging websites should be under 300.

Router ping times are 1 ms ( normally should be around 1 to 5 ms ).

Seems like you have some type of networking or hardware issue causing slow ping times. You should check for device conflicts ( resources being shared? ) between rtl8169 & 3C905B ( or with other devices? ).

RE:Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 24, 2007 - 04:03:00   (#21754)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Thanks for your help tonestone57. I tried all those tests and they all worked but, on 2) nearly every US site timed out. I am in NZ and just about every New Zealand site returned a time but some of them were over 1000ms round trip.
That is why I am having this problem the timeout period is to short for my connection. I can connect to any Beos sites in Linux and Windows but not Beos Max v4b1.
I tried Firefox on NZ sites and it got all the sites that were pingable. The only US site I got was www.real.com.
How can this timeout period be increased?

RE:Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By tonestone57 - Posted on June 23, 2007 - 17:59:19   (#21752)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I should have also added that

1) Checks that your computer's IP, router IP & Netmask are correct - work.

Then use 2) to check DNS.

RE:Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By tonestone57 - Posted on June 23, 2007 - 17:54:46   (#21751)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
You've been HiJacked. You need to install Antivirus program to fix it. Try Kaspersky.

:-)

Ok, just kidding.

Open up a terminal & use ping to test.

What I usually do is: 1) ping the router 2) ping a website URL ( #2 checks DNS ).

So, if router is 192.168.1.1
1) ping 192.168.1.1 ( and check that this works first ). Then
2) ping www.tomshardware.com ( check that this works - Not all websites are pingable ).
If 1&2 work then your connection is setup right.

Else, check Network connections. Enter in IP of router & computer & Netmask 255.255.255.0 and 2 or 3 DNS servers ( check everything is right and try 1&2 again ).

Also, check "Preferences" -> "Devices"; "Ethernet" for resource conflicts and fix any of these.

RE:Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 23, 2007 - 14:35:19   (#21749)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I did notice before when setting up this card, that I could not get it to see the outside DNS. I tried manually after DHCP, to fill these in but that also would not work. {I was seeing this in Linux and Beos). In Beos nothing was filled in correctly by DHCP, so I redid this manually befors restarting the network. The way I got it working in Linux was to set up manually as well then shut down the PC for a while. Just restarting did no good. In linux after that it was able to fill in everything properly by DHCP.
I then rebooted into Beos, made sure everything in the Network was showing correctly including DNS's {not the router address). Everything looked correct. I started the browser, saw the modem data light flickering as what I thought was the default Firefox page, but the page was much different.
After this I have tried clicking on the categories in this page instead to see where they lead. I try and home in on something specific but, just about when I'm getting to that, even that link goes to the original page that came up first.
I did notice that in Network application, the customize button shows another network card enabled, but the customize button clicked after clicking settings shows my card. I don't know if there might be a conflict. Everytime I disable this card (in first customize window} save then go back into Netwok, it is enabled again.

RE:Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By vasper - Posted on June 23, 2007 - 13:02:23   (#21748)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Sounds like your DNS is not working. If you have a router set the dns servers on BeOS to point to the outside dns servers and not to your router.

Every internet link/address goes to one site
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 23, 2007 - 10:26:52   (#21747)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Well I finally got the network and internet connection working in v4b1, by getting a cheap 3C905B TX card, but now have another problem. Every link I click on in Firefox or Netpositive always goes to one website, like I'm been hijacked. I wanted to go a say this in the Beos Max forum but the link is dead. I was trying the links in Linux, not Beos Max.
If I click on the link to www.bebits.com or just about any link, it has the same address as the link in the address box, but goes to a page with a lot of categories about stuff.
Does anyone know whats going on?

Re Cannot install Max Edition V4.1b1 from boot CD
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 16, 2007 - 09:34:19   (#21731)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I tried burning another CD using the boot image from Phos b6 but this did not allow the install CD to boot. It booted as far as the second last icon then keyboard and mouse locked up. When booting from the boot image in the v4b1, it boots as far as the middle icon then everything locks up.
I still do not know how to get networking going for internet.

Re Network not going
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 16, 2007 - 01:02:03   (#21729)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I managed to get Bone and instaled it on V4b1 but no luck.
Also tried to see if the CD was bootable by temporarily disabling SATA in the BIOS of my motherboard but this did not work either, although it does not really matter now because I found a way around this, as mentioned in my previous post. I am just wondering if I were to burn another CD and instead of using the floppy drive image from V4b1, use the Floppy drive image from Phos b6. That might enable a bootable CD for my motherboard.
I wonder if there are other people affected by this motherboard or drive controller (NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller v2.6 and motherboard (GA-7N400Pro2 Rev2)

Cannot install Max Edition V4.1b1 from boot CD
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 15, 2007 - 02:07:33   (#21721)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
The only way I have been able to install any version of Max Edition or Developer Edition since getting this GA-7N400Pro2 Rev2 motherboard, is to use the installer from Phos b6 which does install from the boot CD.
I am not certain why this motherboard has problems like this, but it has a Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller and a NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6). Is it because of the SATA controller? I have to keep this enabled with first boot priority over IDE controller, for Windows and Linux on my SATA drive

Network not going
 By alphaouter - Posted on June 15, 2007 - 01:49:14   (#21720)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
I am unable to get the network functioning on MAX Edition V4.1b1. I have a GA-7N400Pro2 Rev2 motherboard with a Realtek RTL8169/8110 chip. I used the rt8169 driver but no luck. The network is connected via a cable to a router which is connected to a wireless broadband modem. DHCP wont work. I have to enter the IP, netmask, gateway and DNS manually. T he network was working fine in Phos b6. If I converted to bone would this help? I don't know how to get bone because Beshare wont work in Phos and I think that is the only way to get it.

user34 Screen Problem
 By vasicila - Posted on April 30, 2007 - 13:09:25   (#21619)
user34:

You might want to check and see if this drive --> http://www.bebits.com/app/4334 helps.

It's terribly outdated, but it might work. I have a much more update version of the driver, but I'll have to compile it for BeOS R5.

I'll get on it over this upcoming weekend, and post the driver here on BeBits.

RE:Additions
 By vasper - Posted on April 26, 2007 - 18:39:25   (#21602)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
BeOS Max V4 final will have preinstalled all the tools needed for Haiku development. In fact even now Max V4 uses as the default compiler, the latest version available that the Haiku project also uses.

As for the menus, they have been categorized since V1.

not all versions of 2.95.3 are the same
 By umccullough - Posted on April 26, 2007 - 16:42:59   (#21601)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Just a note - there are at least 4 (maybe 5) different versions of GCC 2.95.3 floating around now for BeOS - Haiku essentially uses the latest build from http://bebits.com/app/4011 (060710 - built 2006-07-10) but the Haiku version is in the haiku repo and now includes 2.17 buildtools.

I believe you are correct though that BeOS Max V4 uses the new version that Haiku requires - but previous versions of BeOS Max DO NOT.

gcc
 By rainman - Posted on April 26, 2007 - 12:17:29   (#21600)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Max v4 uses gcc 2.95.3 by default. This is the same version as Haiku uses.

Additions
 By zenja - Posted on April 26, 2007 - 09:56:09   (#21599)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Hey Vasper. How about splitting the app directory (and the equivalent Deskbar shortcuts) into categories, ie. Development, Network, Audio, Productivity, Games etc.

Also, how about including the latest gcc (from Oliver Tappe). People who want to build Haiku will definately want this version, since it can only be built with it.

video display
 By brian21 - Posted on April 3, 2007 - 21:09:39   (#21519)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1

Ok so Ive been using pe 5.03 for about a year with no problems. I just downloaded max and the only way I can get it to work is in video safe mode, otherwise the screen just freezes in blue or green. I have intel 810 chipset and I have tried using the vesa driver to no avail. Ive also tried copying the driver files out of my pe partition to the max partition. Any help would be appreciated.

Re. Move Be Menu this way...
 By edmundf - Posted on April 2, 2007 - 13:01:33   (#21512)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Thanks, I was looking at the wrong place.
( directly near the word "BeOS" )

Move Be Menu this way...
 By ronrussell - Posted on April 1, 2007 - 22:22:49   (#21507)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Look carefully at the right hand end of the task bar, where it looks "textured", like a row of rivets. Left-click and hold the button down, and move the menu ALL the way to the location you want it, then release the mouse button. There are several possible locations, including top edge, right and left corners, etc.

how do I move the BeOS menu?
 By edmundf - Posted on April 1, 2007 - 20:59:34   (#21506)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
How do I move the BeOS menu from the bottom to the
right upper corner?

quickfoxbrowser mirror back online
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on April 1, 2007 - 08:34:03   (#21504)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
and I get free hosting for some months.. they screwed up on the billing so they owe me now.

volunteers needed
 By BeOS Mr X - Posted on March 27, 2007 - 18:47:51   (#21486)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Wanted someone to upload the beosmax zip file to rabidshare, I dont like rapidshare but some people do so whoever can go ahead and upload it there and post the url here. Also, if anyone can suggest a file-sharing site that has uploading let me know as I can upload it.
I also changed the 'U' links to 'D' links.

new mirror added
 By s_d - Posted on March 26, 2007 - 22:43:53   (#21485)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
at beos.spb.ru, no limits (AFAIK)

thx
 By kvdman - Posted on March 26, 2007 - 17:19:33   (#21482)
And thank you!

RE: new link
 By vasper - Posted on March 26, 2007 - 16:55:04   (#21481)

New Link
 By kvdman - Posted on March 26, 2007 - 14:30:45   (#21480)
Hi,

I spent three days downloading this lol.

Anyways, I've uploaded it here:

or direct link here:

There's 250gb of bandwidth/month, so that should be good for 700+ downloads. I'm not using the website for anything anymore as something similar is already under way.

cya

By vasper - Posted on March 26, 2007 - 12:25:55   (#21478)
Please vote for Max :-)

@ edmundf
 By umccullough - Posted on March 25, 2007 - 17:32:05   (#21476)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Besides the fact that motogp.com took over a minute to load here...

It appears to be 99% flash. That's not what I would consider a "website"... Some of us simply do not use websites that choose to exclude alternative OSes and browser by using proprietary technologies.

Adobe's flash is not open source, so you're either stuck waiting for them to write it for BeOS/Haiku, or waiting for something like gnash to get better.

As for complaints about Firefox on BeOS, posting them in the BeOS Max thread is nearly pointless. If you want to report Firefox issues, you're better off posting them in the Firefox comments on bebits, or on bezilla.livejournal.com.

re: download plugin
 By edmundf - Posted on March 25, 2007 - 12:03:34   (#21475)
Look at www.motogp.com :-(
FireFox works fine under windows Linux and maybe
many other OSes too. As long as there is no BeOS
browser, I am out, I hate to say that.

VMWare (actually Fusion)
 By zenja - Posted on March 24, 2007 - 23:26:58   (#21473)
 Current version when comment was posted: V4b1
Without the vmw_mouse driver and filter, the mouse will quickly lockup in the top left corner, making any BeOS based OS unusable under VMWare. Please include the VMWare tools (also on BeBits) in this package. Once you manage to get the tools installed, the mouse works as it should (actually, even better because it repositions the host mouse once you leave a window).

Anyway, off to experiment with MAX. I've never tried it before since I had Zeta.

So far, it looks very promising. I cannot wait to see what you'll do with Haiku once it's ready.

Comment Pages:    << prev  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  next >>